Holy Family Parish is eager to aid couples in planning a truly Catholic celebration of their wedding. Marriage is a sacrament, a consecrative action of Christ. It begins with the wedding and continues throughout their married lives. The parish marriage preparation program should therefore be looked upon as a great opportunity to prepare both prayerfully and wisely. This program is in line with directives from the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and the Catholic Province of Wisconsin. It includes the following elements:
- At least one of the partners to be married must be a registered and participating member of a Catholic church. Preferences in wedding dates are given to Holy Family parish members.
- The Catholic partner(s) must give evidence of some faith and trust in God. This includes regular participation in the Sunday Mass.
- The couple must begin preparation with the church no less than six months prior to the date of the wedding. This gives the couple time to attend necessary sessions and allows the priest time to plan the ceremony with the couple.
- The couple must complete the FOCCUS premarital inventory. All areas of concern will be discussed with the pastor or a trained couple.
- The couple must participate in an Archdiocesan Marriage Preparation Event.
- The couple will watch 6 short online videos through Formed.
- The couple will meet with their Presider several times, including a meeting to plan the ceremony.
When a Catholic marries someone of another religious tradition, the couple participates in sessions about the Catholic faith to familiarize the non-Catholic party with those teachings.
- The couple must provide recent copies of baptismal and confirmation certificates.
- The couple must complete Church papers indicating one's sincere intentions.
- With the presider, the couple must plan the liturgy of marriage.